A car accident, when occurs, comes with an aftermath that must be dealt with in time. Car accidents in Houston can be very daunting as these can be a little challenging for people to understand in order to secure fair settlements.
The case of accidents does not always end up in trials, but a lot of times, it is the settlements that can be formed between two parties.
The settlement process includes insurance, a blend of legalities, and personal recovery steps. All of this can be very overwhelming.
An accident lawyer in Houston TX can help you understand the complexities of the settlement process very easily.
Steps to Take After an Accident
After you experience a car accident, it is noticed that this is one of the difficult events that occur in people’s lives. These steps not only make sure that your safety is taken care of but also play an essential role in making sure that you get the insurance claims resolved at the right time.
So, some of the steps that are to be taken initially when a car accident occurs include:
- If you or any passengers in your vehicle are injured, your number one priority should be to check on yourself and the passengers. If you are sure that you and the passengers are injured, shift the car to the side of the road so as not to bother traffic or to cause other accidents. To alert other drivers, turn on your hazard lights.
- A lot of times, people think they feel fine, but in such cases as well, you must make sure that you get medical attention. It is done in order to look for the injuries that might be hidden and affecting your body later.
- Call the authorities and complain about the accident to them so that serious actions can be taken regarding the accident. The police report usually consists of details that provide the details of the accident that should be looked at.
- If you are able, then make sure you do the documentation as well, where you take pictures of the scene of the accident and take witness statements that are present at the site of the accident.
- File and maintain all documentation concerning the accident, e.g., medical bills, assessments of repairs, police reports, or any discussions with insurance companies.
The Settlement Process
In Houston, the settlement process is not very easy to maneuver through. There are some steps that are to be followed in order to make the best settlement claims. Here is what they are:
The process usually starts when a claim is filed with the insurance company of the party that is at fault. The claim is then investigated by the insurance company, the accident report is reviewed, and the vehicle damage and other relevant information are looked at.
Determination of Fault
In Houston, the party that does the fault is usually held liable for the damages. Looking at the evidence provided, the insurance company assesses the fault and then makes a decision. This step is one of the most important steps as it determines the direction of the settlement.
Assessing the Damages
Documentation that quantifies your damages will have to be assessed in the next step, which is also known as the economic damages. This covers the cost of treatment, repair expenses, loss of employment, and any other costs resulting from an accident. Consideration should also be given to the non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, anxiety, and depression felt after the accident.
Settlement Offer and Negotiation
Once all the documentation is done, a settlement is offered. The actual value of your claim differs greatly from this starting offer. If you or your lawyer decide on a more appropriate amount depending on the damages, negotiations are then done.
The negotiation then takes place, which is very crucial. Here, the role of the lawyer is seen very clearly. The lawyer makes sure that he uses his expertise to settle for an offer that is helpful to all parties involved. The goal is to reach an agreement that covers the compensation in the best way possible.
Finalizing the Settlement
When the settlement is decided, the insurance company issues a settlement check in response to the release form. And if the negotiation does not end up in a settlement, the issue is taken to the court.
When it comes to the settlement process in Houston, there are some complexities that are to be kept in mind. There are a few steps that are to be followed. You must make sure that you go through them properly, as each step contains its own importance. Make sure that you reach an amount that is quite suitable for the purpose of compensation and covers the damages that are observed by the injured party.